Saturday, October 10, 2009

Long Run!

Flâneur and I decided that we ought to go for a run today. I wasn't too excited about the idea of doing our usual route (I find the end leg really tough) so he suggested that we up our milage a bit and run round Arthur's Seat, something we had been talking about doing at some point. Seeing as I wasn't sure I was entirely up for a run today, I'm not entirely sure why I agreed... (possibly something to do with my new sports bra having arrived). This crazy tough route is not something that I have done since training for the Great North Run as it's bloody hard work! I did suggest that we walk to the park and just run round Queen's Drive and then walk home as round Queen's Drive is a good 5km (just over), and I'm pretty sure is what RF and I used to do when she was training me for the GNR. Flâneur wasn't so keen on that though, and said we should just run there and see how we got on, we could always abandon the crazy notion of running round the hill and do our usual route instead...

So we started off on a 3:1, run:walk ratio and, while it wasn't easy, it wasn't so bad and before I knew it we were starting to climb uphill. We went clockwise round and the stretch from St Margaret's Loch to Dunsapie Loch is bloody tough. Flâneur is a bit of a mountain goat and can do up-hills with little effort. I am not and therefore cannot. I found it very tough so we had to go down to a 1:1 ratio, but at least I was running half of it! We went back up to 3:1 when we got back on the flat round Dunsapie Loch, and then on the downhill stretch (which I'm much better at) we managed a 4:1 and a 7:1 and then a 5:1 and even ran home. Which was brilliant! I had initially thought that the whole thing would take us well over an hour as neither of us had gone that sort of distance either before or for a long time, but we managed a very respectable 1 hour, pretty much dead on. I was so chuffed I was practically jumping for joy when we got in (if my legs would have taken it!)

Overall we did:

Total distance: 7.52km (4.67 miles)
Total Time: 1:00:12
Total time spent running: 43:15
Total time spent walking: 16:57
Total calorie loss: 780 (according to mapometer.com who we map the route with)

Really happy with that. May even do it again, maybe in a couple of weeks when my legs have recovered!!

1 comment:

Fiona Lochhead said...

Very impressed! You inspire me. Well - you, and the fact that I've done nothing but eat over the last couple of days. Curse these family gatherings!
Will go to the gym tomorrow.