Thursday, October 22, 2009

Is this the start of something??

Last night I was at the gym again after work. That makes twice this week, which isn't bad. Probably seems like more because that's all I seem to talk about on here at the moment! A curious thing happened to me when I was both on the treadmill and then on the cross trainer though... I actually started to enjoy it. Properly enjoy the exercise, not just endure it because I know it's good for me.

Not sure what has come over me. I suspect it was the endorphins. It certainly was them when I practically skipped home (if my legs would have coped with that I might have!). I was very happy in that I ran for 24 minutes straight on the treadmill at 7.6 kmph with just 1 minute of walking to warm me up (note to those who believe in more warming up than this - it is a 25 minute walk to the gym from work that I do not stroll). My legs coped pretty well with this and where I usually detest running on a treadmill I found it not unpleasant. I still prefer running outside, with company, with some sort of pretty scenery to look at, but I found it not so bad last night. My ideal clearly for the treadmill would be to have some sort of screen in front of me with pretty scenery scrolling by. That would make it much much better. But alas, the ones in my gym don't have that. Do any?? For my cool down I walked for 5 minutes at 5.5kmph, on a 3% gradient. I figured just because it was the cool down didn't mean it had to be too easy. Pretty good stuff. I was quite surprised when I switched from metric to imperial (US) measurements near the end of my run to see that I had run around 1.9 miles. Good lord! Quite something. I'll be up to running 2 miles and doing about 30 minutes straight before I know it!

Flâneur and I will be going out for a long run on Saturday (weather permitting) so it will be interesting to see how I get on with running outside, with hills and people and all sorts...

I also decided I ought to work a bit harder on the cross trainer last night, so upped the ramping and resistance from 4 and 2 to 8 and 4 on the easier bits, keeping it at 10 and 8 on the hard bits (it's a 4 minute, 4 minute split between easier and tougher on the weightloss programme). It was tough, but I persevered. And find myself pretty pleased with my overall stats from last night:

Total work out time: 63 mins
Total calories burned: 709.6 (woo hoo!)
Total distance walked/run/strode: 7.62km

No wonder I was so pleased with myself! I think that's why I'm enjoying it at the moment - really seeing improvement and progress. Let's hope it helps me with my challenge and goal!

I was bloody knackered when I got home though. It's another 20 min walk home from the gym, during which time the endorphins wore off a bit. I still had the feeling of having enjoyed it, but just wanted to collapse and sleep when I got in! I suspect I hadn't eaten enough by that point for the amount of exercise I had done (I roughly worked it out as the gym having cancelled out everything else I had eaten during the day, which probably isn't good). I felt a bit better after dinner (Thai green chicken curry and rice, yum), but got increasingly tired and grumpy as the evening wore on. Having had to do dishes, make dinner and then sort out the washing when I just wanted to collapse probably didn't help! Poor Flâneur had to deal with my grumblings all evening. He's very good humoured about it (thankfully!) - I think he finds it funny. Thankfully I know it's just grumbliness so I don't mind. Otherwise... well, you can all imagine! ;o)

Today I started off tired, but am now feeling that joy of having exercised yesterday. For the sake of my health and my figure, long may this continue!

1 comment:

The Professor said...

Heck, I couldn't run for a minute straight, so serious hats off to you! :)