Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Goals

So, I have kept off the pesky few pounds that I managed to loose and am still X-2 stones and 13 pounds. This is fab. I'm so pleased every time I step on the scales and see that (yes, I know I shouldn't step on the scales as often as I do, but I'm philosophical about it, so don't worry about it). And my reward - a nice top that was on sale. Yay! The challenge now is to keep at that X-2 stones, and make the pounds lessen to reach the next goal of having lost two stone (at X-2 and 3 pounds).

So goals. I have big goals, lose a stone (tick) move down the stone numbers (tick, tick), lose another stone, etcetc... But should I also have smaller goals? Are smaller goals something that are inspiring, or something that ultimately lead to disappointment? Am I better sticking to my larger goal/reward system? The point with my goals is that they aren't time sensitive, it's never lose so much in such and such a time. This makes them easier to keep. Smaller goals tend to be a bit more restrictive...

I came across a blog (The Fat Runner) of a guy who has been setting himself these smaller goals - loose 3kg in 3 weeks, that sort of thing. Fantastically for him, he's managed it and I find reading his blog pretty inspirational, but it did get me thinking about these kind of goals.

I did try before, with the bet with Wastrel, and managed to fail at losing 10 pounds in the 2 months that we undertook the bet. Looking back at past posts it took me about 3 months. So I'm wondering if these kind of set goals would basically not work for me? I'm not sure I'm inspired enough by them, or perhaps I just don't make ones that are realistic for me!

Having read some of Fat Runner's posts, I'm thinking I might give one a go and see how I get on. I've still got my cold so it would have to wait, but I might try his goal and see if I can loose 3kg in 3 weeks. That's 2 pounds per week (to mix my measurements). Starting on Friday (cold depending). I shall note what I weigh on Friday morning and try and see how I get on.

You never know though - I am currently reading Haruki Murakami's "What I talk about when I talk about running" and it may yet inspire me to run again. Stranger things have happened!

2 comments:

Fiona Lochhead said...

For every half stone you lose, I will get you a treat. From Harvey Nicks.

Incentive?

MF said...

Really????

Yes, that is certainly an incentive!

Particularly as I haven't had a good start to the loose 6 pounds in 3 weeks thing so far...