Monday, June 8, 2009

Plodding along

Well, the weight-loss challenge isn't go so well so far.  On Friday morning I weighed:

X-1 stone 0 lb.

This morning I weighed:

X-1 stone 1 lb 1/4oz!!

Yup.  The start to my weight-loss challenge was to put on 1lb or so, rather than loose anything.  So I had to do something to kick start this thing.  Eating lots of lovely fish on Saturday night (a lovely meal out with Wastrel, SAM, Flâneur and HAL) clearly did not help as much as I'd hoped.  All the other rubbish I also ate over the weekend probably didn't either.  

So today, Monday, I have had a much better food day:

Breakfast: a multigrain bagel with a poached egg
Snack: a portion of blueberries 
Lunch: a small salad (no dressing, basically just rocket, spinach, watercress leaves with cucumber and four pomodorino tomatoes) with houmous and two small toasted pitta.  Plus a bag of Frazzles because I was really hungry!!
Snack: banana and an apple (about an hour apart), followed by another small toasted pitta when I got home

All not bad going so far, I don't think.  Healthy (apart from the frazzles, but they do only have 110 cals per bag), and a fair few of my daily portions of fruit/veg, which is a miracle!!  

To make the day even more healthy I also walked to work (35 mins or so, 1.9 miles) and then walked home again (about the same).  And then when I got home, guess what?  I actually went out again (after consuming the small pitta) and dragged my carcass out for a jog/walk kind of a run.  This is basically always what I mean by a 'run'!  It helped that it was nice and sunny out...

As I've not run for (quickly checks back in old posts) about 5 months and have pretty much done no real exercise to speak off for the last two weeks due to a hideous cold, I thought it was best to take it easy.  It's always so depressing that I have to start back at zero again because I never keep it up... I went for my usual route (2.41 miles according to mapmyrun, 2.7 according to my i-pod!) and did a 2:1 minute jog:walk ratio.  I made sure I kept that up consistently throughout the 'run', which I figured was better than pushing myself too hard and discouraging myself from going again!  I did about 10.5 reps of this to cover the route making a total of 32.40 minutes.  Which I'm pretty chuffed with as looking back at the last run I did (17 Jan) that's a pretty similar time.  Yay!   

I looked suitably bright red when I got back, sweaty, thirsty, but I felt great!  My muscles will stiffen up over the course of the evening, guaranteed, by I remembered to stretch them out before going out (treated my walk home as a warm up) and then again when I got home, so hopefully they wont be too bad.  I'm hoping to get back to the pool tomorrow too, seeing as my nose has finally stopped running.  Go me!  ;o)

1 comment:

Fiona Lochhead said...

Ha haaa! So you've discovered the low cal snack that is Frazzles too, eh? Probably the least healthy thing in the world, but perfect for satisfying the rapacious junk food cravings.