Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Getting back on track...

Haven’t blogged for a while, but with starting a new weight loss and fitness regime, I feel I ought to have somewhere to record my progress, and this is what this blog was supposed to be...

A lot has happened this year so far… Far too much to put in one post. To sum up though:

  • I got married. This was brilliant. I had the best day, the sun shone and it was just fantastic.
  • We didn’t go to Tokyo on honeymoon. Bastard BA greedy scumbags… (don’t get me started on this, I’m still very upset about it)
  • We did go to New York instead. Which was brilliant. We got upgraded at our hotel, ate in a couple of fantastic restaurants (including 3* Daniel), ate lovely cupcakes that we travelled across the city for, and had fun with a stuffed knitted green dinosaur at the top of the Rock…
  • We moved. Three times. First Flâneur moved to a flat in a new city in January, then I moved to join him there in April when we got back from New York. Then we moved everything to one flat in June. At one point we were renting three flats at once, and I couldn’t recommend that less! This was all very stressful and expensive, but at least we now live in one flat together.
  • I got a new job. And now commute for 50 mins by train every day… Ah well, at least I’m not spending every other weekend travelling up and down the country anymore.

All this has not exactly made it easy to keep off the weight and keep up the exercise. I can’t remember the last time I went to the gym and my weight has crept back up to X-1 stone and 5 lb! Not good. Not good at all.

But now things are settling down I can finally start to sort this out. Finally I can try and get things back on track! Thanks to RF mentioning it in an email, I have started to watch what I eat by keeping an online food diary with Nutracheck (http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/). I have toyed with doing this before, but hadn’t found one that was as easy to use or as cheap. It took a while to get used to, but they give you a five day free trial, which was enough for me to realise that it could work. It’s quite an eye opener if you give it a go. You may sit and think (like me), I eat quite healthily, I don’t over eat, why am I not losing any weight? And then you write it all down (you have to be very honest) and you realise that actually you eat far more than you thought, calorie-wise, don’t exercise nearly enough, and that there are definite areas where improvement could be found! The things I like particularly about this online food diary are:

  • You can easily create your own recipes. So if, like us, you make most meals from scratch, you can find out how many calories they contain based on the ingredients, rather than guessing. We even did it for some oaty biscuits Flaneur makes (which are quite calorific it turns out…).
  • If gives suggested Food Swaps. So you can find similar things that have fewer calories and fat. For example I like a biscuit or two with my morning coffee. This week I have ginger snaps rather than bourbons, thanks to the food swap! (this feature can be amusing however, when what it wants to swap is already pretty low in calories and fat, and what it suggests instead is something with the same number of calories!)
  • It shows you (very clearly) how many portions of fruit/veg you are eating.
  • It lets you copy stuff easily into another day.
  • It lets you easily add in exercise from a very comprehensive list of options (including exercise DVDs and the Wii fit!)

One downside might be that the database doesn’t contain a lot of foods from M&S, which is unfortunately where we do most of our food shopping (not because we are posh, but because it’s closest and we don’t have a car). There are probably some other plus/negative points too, but those are the ones I’ve got so far.

So that’s the eating getting under control (hopefully). I’ve done my first full week using it and I have lost 3lb. So far so good.

Now onto the exercise! Taking the train early every day doesn’t help. Living where we do doesn’t help (not great for running outside as there are no green spaces nearby and not really gyms that close by). Gyms being very expensive also doesn’t help (the nearest one to us is a Virgin Active, and tragically I cannot afford their prices). I did try and run outside with Flâneur a few weeks ago (ok 6 weeks ago), but to get the right distance I had to work out a very convoluted route that took us through some dodgy looking areas, so we abandoned that. He has since worked out another route that involves running round the block 3 times (the block in question being about a mile). Me, I don’t enjoy this so much and always feel like I’m holding him back when we go together as he’s quicker and fitter than me. And then it hit me. I was actually missing going to the gym. Missing it! I didn’t realise it had had this effect on me, but I realised that I had to go back. So I did a lot of looking around and found that my best option was Pure Gym. There’s one in town that is only 10-15 mins walk from one of the stations and then only 20 mins walk from our flat. They’re quite good as it’s only £15.99 a month and there’s no contract to tie you in, so if it doesn’t work out I can quit whenever. So on Sunday, I joined. And then last night I went. And I must say, it was great to go back. It was hard, very hard, and I didn’t do a lot (don’t want to push it on the first go after such a long gap), but I did enjoy it and now today I don’t ache (very much) and have a great desire to go back. What I did was:

Treadmill:

2 mins walk at 5.5 kmp
5 mins run at 8 kmp
2 mins walk at 5.5 kmp
5 mins run at 8 kmp (oh. my. god. this hurt.)
2 mins walk at 5.5 kmp
2 mins cool down at 3.3 kmp
Total: 18 mins, 2.2km.

Cross Trainer:

20 mins on manual setting, going around 6.5kmp, swapping from level 1 to level 4 and back every 2 mins. Around 3km total.

A good slow build up. I had wanted to do 30 mins on the cross trainer, but it hurt too much and I thought it best not to over do things. It also took me about 6 mins of relentless movement on the one setting to realise that it would be better to chop it up into chunks of different levels, and that really made the time past.

I shall try and ramp it up each time I go, but it certainly feels good to be back.

No comments: