Thursday, August 5, 2010

In need of a holiday...

In keeping with the new new regime, I went to the gym last night. Go me. Turns out it’s not so hard to do after all. ;o)

I get changed at work before leaving for the station so I’m all set to go when I get to the gym. Just have to take the joggers off to reveal the running tights (well, cropped leggings really), and away I go! Last night wasn’t quite so quick off the mark though as I faffed around with a padlock for the lockers for about 10 minutes, totally unable to make it work properly. And getting increasingly frustrated as I’d only just bought the damn thing in one of the vending machines in the gym. £3 it cost me and it’s a piece of junk! Luckily the gym wasn’t so busy so I could use machines that I could put my coat and bag next to, in plain sight of me, so no-one would nick them. But I don’t like doing that really…

So I did my usual running machine/cross trainer routine managing:

Treadmill:

2 mins walk at 6 kmph
5 mins run at 8 kmph
2 mins walk at 6 kmph
5 mins run at 8 kmph
2 mins walk at 6 kmph
5 mins run at 8 kmph (more or less, I did walk for about 30 secs in the middle)
4 mins walk at 6 kmph to cool down.
Total: 25 mins, 2.94 km (how annoying to just miss the spot on 3)

Pretty pleased with that and it’s definitely an improvement on Monday and much more what I want to be doing at this stage.

Cross trainer:

25 mins on manual setting (including 4 mins of cool down), going an average of 6.7 kmph, swapping between level 1 to level 4 every 3 minutes. Which I figured was better than every two I had done on Monday! Total kilometerage: 2.79 km.

Pretty pleased with all that.

Wont be back again this week as we have HH and BC visiting this weekend and I have lots of hoovering, cleaning and tidying to do on Friday night before they arrive… Our first visitors, it’s very exciting. And I can’t wait to see them as I find I am missing my Edinburgh friends terribly at the moment. I need to make it back up there very soon, but I just don’t know when I’ll have the time or money. More importantly the money (trains really should be cheaper)!!

I am desperately in need of some time off though. Since April I have had proper time off only for moving house, which is not exactly a relaxing holiday. In fact it’s horrible and stressful and I will always need a holiday after doing it… So I feel like I have been working relentlessly for the last 4 months. And I need a lie in! I’m hoping to take a week off at the beginning of September, to lie in, read (totally engrossed in my book at the moment, reading ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’. So much so I hate it when my train journeys end at the moment and I have to do work – I could just keep reading and reading. Must get the next one for when this one runs out…) and hoping to do some sewing, which I have not done for ages! Still have a project for little IMcM to finish off and have more projects buzzing round my head but no real time to do them at the moment. I’m taking Flâneur to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in August, so I’m hoping to find more inspiration, some supplies and a bit of oomph while we’re there! That’s the theory anyway…

2 comments:

One Flew Over said...

I also trying to get fit and have recently hired a spin bike (I have 2 young kids and my husband works 60+ hours a week so it is difficult to get to a gym) but if you need some inspiration regarding your workout program you may be interested in this:

http://www.iamplify.com/store/category/cardio-workout-video-and-mp3-download/products/id/4

They are basically audio exercise programs you can download to your ipod. I am using the spin programs and find them pretty good.

MF said...

Thanks! I'll definitely take a look. :o)