Monday, November 17, 2008

Swimming...

Yes, I finally went to the pool tonight, after a couple of weeks away from it.  Was feeling very chirpy this afternoon (getting excited about Christmas, seeing friends etc), so figured it would be a shame to waste the energy.  So, to keep a record of what I did:

30 mins
34 lengths

It's a small local pool, 23 meters I think, so a total of around 782 meters in my half hour.  Good swim.  Actually overtook someone in the slow lane, which was secretly very satisfying!  Started off in the general melee of the main bit of the pool but was getting too annoyed at having to play slalom with other women (it's ladies only on a Monday) after 15 laps that I moved across to the slow lane, which had emptied down to just two other people.  Usually I swim in this lane, but it was quite busy when I got in to the pool at 5:45.  

Realised for the first time too that I swim faster if I actually use my legs properly.  I had been trying for weeks to work out how to make them work more effectively (mostly involving watching other people's legs under the water.)  So rather than the usual ineffective caressing of the water that they usually do, leaving my arms doing all the actual work, I actually kicked out properly with them, got knackered and felt great!!  I know this is a bit of a 'derr' situation, but breast stroke was never my stroke when I was younger (go backstroke!), and I don't think I've ever paid attention to how to do it properly.  Or least something approximating properly.  Any other advice is welcome...

No comments: