Sunday, March 22, 2009

Quilt update

The cinema having failed us this afternoon, I spent part of the time working on my quilt. Where I left it last time was:




I had sewn up the pieces in strips and then sewn all the strips together. This took me pretty much a whole day, but part of that was all the ironing that I had to do. Iron all the seams of the long strips down the way and then all the long seams to one side. God it was tedious. So what you see above is the result of all that effort, laid out on our King Sized bed! Raw like that it was bloody massive! Not that it's much smaller now...

So, having done that bit I just need to get some fabric for the backing and some wadding for the middle. My favourite fabric shop is Mandors in Glasgow, which I drag my Flâneur to whenever we're through. It's fab, full of loads of great upholstery fabrics as well as a massive amount of 'crafting' fabrics. It's where I got all the fabrics for the front side of the quilt. Joyously from my point of view they also had cotton wadding (Warm and Natural, an American needled cotton batting that is soft and warm and crucially comes in big enough amounts for my project!). So I got a lovely red cotton for the backing and a huge amount of the cotton wadding. And I'm talking huge! Here they all are laid out on our floor ready to be cut to size:



Bear in mind that the quilted bit will fit on top of our king sized bed... This was a tricky stage as it turned out. As you can see from all the wrinkles the fabrics kept sticking to each other and it was very difficult to get them flattened enough to be able to pin and cut them. But I managed it, and then just had to sew up the edges. Phew! Like most bits of long straight stitching that didn't take me that long, so here is the (nearly) finished quilt!!



That's it being held up by my 6ft Flâneur, just so you get some idea of scale!! It's not quite finished yet as I have still to sew up the hole at the top where I turned it and then quilt down the gutters, but I must say I'm really pleased with it so far. :o) Until next time...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks fab! Well done you. :)