Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More swimming

Yep. Back at the pool last night. Which after having taken most of January and February off is a good thing. Good to get back in to it and remember just how much I enjoy it and how good it makes me feel. Like last week it would have been so easy to have just gone home, particularly as I was running late having bumped into HMcM on my way to the bus stop. Haven’t seen her for AGES so good to have a brief catch up, leaving on a promise of catching up properly when both our boys are away in a couple of weeks.

So despite feeling tired and running late (have to be out of the pool by 6:30 as an Aquafit class takes over the shallow end at 6:40 thus making it impossible to get a decent swim), I still went and still got in my 40 lengths. It was touch and go whether I was going to complete them in time, but I managed it and it probably helped me push myself and swim a bit faster!!

I am getting increasingly frustrated and annoyed with the other women in the pool though. Like black ducks just bobbing around either end they seem to do nothing except get in my way! Oh dear, I am becoming one of those swimmer that I always disliked… Still, if they’re actually swimming I can just about tolerate them getting in the way, it’s when they are casually chatting (in the middle of the pool people!!) and getting in my way that I get irked. I spent half my time trying to come up with a suitable analogy to fit them. Crows… hmm.. they don’t really bob about on the water, but they do hang out and are dressed in black… some sort of watery things then – fish? No they actually swim. Ducks was the best I could come up with as they bobbed about in the water, but if anyone can come up with a better one, please let me know!

So I still think that I need to find another, quieter pool and am still determined to try the University one at some point. If only they had better opening hours and didn’t restrict numbers in the pool (although I imagine I might actually be thankful of that). I am actually seriously considering getting up early to go before work. Yeah, will believe that when I see it!

So my stats from last night (for anyone who is interested and to keep track myself):

40 lengths
31.44.65 (yay! over 45 seconds quicker!)
Average time for length: 47.62 (yay! Quicker)
Fast length: 1 (it’s always 1) at 38.78 (way quicker)
Slowest length: 40 at 52.94 (in my defence I got off to a slow start on this one due to people in my way!)

I also decided to keep track of my progress using good ol’ Excel and was pleased when I input all my data so far that last night was quickest all round! Fastest 40 lengths, fastest fast length, fastest slow length, oh, except the average which was 30miliseconds slower than the previous fastest. I think I said I would go up to 50 lengths once I got to doing 40 in 30 mins. Not far off now!!

Sorry to bore you with all the stats. I have been doing other stuff too, but that will have to wait for another time…