Saturday, January 17, 2009

Keeping up with intentions

Pretty pleased with myself today - I managed to drag my sorry backside out for a run again, thus making sure that my intention to run at least once a week is upheld (at least for now!).  I didn't necessarily fancy doing it, but the weather looked nice outside, and I thought - well, I said I'd go for a run today, so I suppose I had better go...

It was after breakfast (hmm... bacon sarnie, probably not the best pre-run breakfast, but I did make sure I waited over an hour between eating it and going out), and I was able to do the route I like to do because there weren't thousands of other runners in Holyrood Park this week.  

This usual route is 2.41 miles (according to mapmyrun.co.uk) and apparently has me burning off around 400 calories - I wonder if that presumes that I'm running the whole time...  I used the same kind of strategy as last week, but starting off with walking this time as it's uphill to the top of the road and there are usually lots of people around and roads to cross etc.  It's usually a bit disruptive to timing to run at the beginning of this route (although if I was running the whole thing, I would obviously run this bit too).  There's a nice downhill from there swinging round in to the park, which is mostly flat, and then round on to London Road which turns in a bit of an uphill slog for a while before being mostly flat/downhill to home.  

My rough (I really need to get a new battery for my sports watch, the Sportcount isn't quite as good for running) times were:

2 mins walk
5 mins run 
1 min stretching/waiting for lights to change (this is very rough)
2 mins walk
5 mins run
2 mins walk
6 mins run
2 mins walk
6 mins run
2 mins walk

Total: 32.31 minutes

Was really pleased with the two stretches of 6 minutes running, which was better than last week, and it didn't seem to be such a hard hard slog today.  Saying that it was still tough and I do now ache quite a bit...  

Definitely need to buy a new sports bra though, the one I have is really rubbish and I don't think is really doing the job it should be doing.  The swimming costume will just have to wait a month or so.

1 comment:

kensson said...

I think you're very brave logging your goals and achievements and deserve all the encouragement I can give. I'll get me pompoms :o)