Monday, February 2, 2009

Update

Was at the doctor on Friday morning, who was singularly unhelpful. Not my usual GP and not sure I'd want to see her again. I was expecting at least: maybe it's a virus; if not: you need to get better sleep, here are some leaflets; but instead I got: maybe you've been overdoing it, everyone gets a bit sluggish every now and again! Goddamn her. I felt like she wasn't taking me seriously at all. I was a little overwrought with the whole thing, it having been a pretty big deal for me to go to the doctor about it, having been kept waiting 30 mins for my appointment and still being tired, that I'm afraid to say I did blub a bit in her surgery. When asked if there was anything worrying me, I nearly snorted: yes, this!

Anyway, I think she felt guilty because now she's agreed to do some tests, just to rule a few things out. I'm to go back for blood tests next week, so we'll see what happens. I'm feeling much better this week, so maybe whatever was working on me has worked it's way out, but I'll feel more re-assured after the tests.

On the upside, I had a lovely weekend away in Perthshire with my five best pals. We had a lovely relaxing time chez Wastrel and SAM, with good food, wine and company. A delicious fondue and champagne awaited us when we arrived, which started the weekend perfectly. I was also able to give SAM her belated birthday present and another apology at missing last week’s fun. Saturday was spent getting up leisurely, then heading out to a spot of historical interest nearby, only to find that it was shut for Winter. Blooming Scotland. Someone joked that that should be on the posters that greet you at the airport: Welcome to Scotland, Closed until April. Brilliant. But we spent a good amount of time wandering around the graveyard looking at the unusual names of the local deceased, before heading to the local pub across the road. This was quite a find as the food was really nice pub grub. I had haddock and chips. The fish was really tasty and the batter nice and light. You got a fish and a half and initially I thought I couldn't eat it all, but that turned out to be a foolish thought - of course I could! Although in the end I was prevented by a blasted migraine. Thankfully I had my Sumatriptan tablets with me and was able to stave it off to just a mild headache, but it was annoying none the less. I had really wanted to finish that fish!

Back at the house Wastrel gave me a much appreciated massage (she is a qualified therapeutic massage person), which was both relaxing and soothing for my head. Meant I slept well that night too. Thanks so much!! We played a game designed by the multi-talented Wastrel for HMcM's Christmas a few years back, and then ate delicious roast lamb with trimmings. Hmmm... lamb, one of my favourite meats. Yum. Oh, followed by Sticky Toffee Pud. Delicious. Possibly not so good for the old diet all this fine dining, but you need to indulge every now and again or your life just gets too dull.

Sunday was again a leisurely start, culminating in lunch in Perth at this lovely little French place (you'll notice names escaping me totally today), which did just delicious food. I had a 'salad' (ha!) Paysanne. More potato and bacon than lettuce, but that was the point. ;o) HL and I then hightailed it off to the station for the train back to Edinburgh leaving RF, Wastrel and SAM with the Perth shops. Well, the ones that were open. It wasn't a bad journey back to Edinburgh, even though the train was quite busy, and HL and I had a good chat about life and plans and our boys. It really was a lovely weekend but it was good to be home on Sunday evening. Even better that my dearest had made the flat look immaculate, having done a great job cleaning and tidying after having had his friends over on Saturday. The challenge now is to keep it that way! Ha!

No comments: